Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Who knew Garbage had good taste in music

BUTCH'S & SHIRLEY'S MUSIC PICKS


BUTCH VIG'S SONG PICKS

MOTO - "Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance to the Radio"
Two minutes and 17 seconds of pure punk bliss...with a reference to both Jonathan Richman's Roadrunner and Joy Division's Transmission, it never fails to shoot adrenaline straight to my heart.

JOSEPH ARTHUR - "Into the Sun"
A dark, yet achingly beautiful song about loss, regret, and somehow meaking peace with your past. At least that's what i think it's about.

RINGSIDE - "The Struggle"
A spare hypnotic beat and droning electric guitar groove along under the best white boy soul singing I've heard in a long time.

LOUIS XIV - "Finding Out True Love is Blind"
Obnoxiously infectious. Is the singer being cheeky or does he really think he's Casanova? Either way, this is the best sneer i've heard since Mark E. Smith.

CRIMEA - "Baby Boom"
Their songs really grew on me. There are some flourishes in the music that recall Flaming Lips. It's the first time I've heard the words "Tarzan, King of the Jungle" in a pop song.

TEGAN AND SARA - "Walking with a Ghost"
One of those simple pop songs I can't get out of my head. For the longest time I thought they were singing, "i was smoking with a ghost," which come to think of it, I prefer.

SHIRLEY MANSON'S ALBUM PICKS

THE ARCADE FIRE - Funeral
One of my absolute favorite new bands. They seem to march to their own drum--doing something completely unique and enchanting. I love this record so much.

QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE - Lullabies to Paralyze
That Josh Homme is a stud and his band are a bunch of studs also. This new album is studlike. Simple as that.

A GIRL CALLED EDDY - A Girl Called Eddy
Here is a girl with a voice like Dusty Springfield who writes like Burt Bacharach. This record is a little jewel.

KASABIAN - Kasabian
They remind me of both the Happy Mondays and the Stone Roses back when they were in their prime. The sound of this makes me want to go get high.

DEATH FROM ABOVE 1979 - You're a woman, I'm a machine
This is so fresh sounding. Watch them rise fast. They are impossible to resist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home